Eden Weimaraners presents Olivia & Horatio puppies

This blog will follow Olivia, CH Eden N Nimble's Maine Attraction JH, NSD, NRD, V through her pregancy and birth of her litter of puppies with Ch Eden's Horatio, Horatio or Mr. H. as he is also called. Please come back often for updates and lots of photos!



Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Olivia is such a wonderful Mom...

I have just woken up from sleeping about 12 hours! I had never been so tired in my life! Olivia got a lot of good rest too and she looks a lot better then she did the other night.

After Olivia had her first three babies the other night, she continued to have hard contractions but no baby would come out. I started to get a bit worried as this has not happened to me before. We put everyone in the car and headed to the emergency vet. All the way there, I was just hoping that she wouldn't need a C-section. Once there, they were going to check her calcium level. There was a chance her calcium levels were low and if they were, she would just need some extra to give her a boost. Right before they came to take her blood, Olivia whelped a little girl. She wasn't breathing. I have read ways to help a baby that isn't breathing but I was so glad we were at the vet. They took her in the back and started to work on her for quite awhile. Sadly she didn't make it. She had been stuck in the birth canal for too long. It was very sad, she was a big, perfect baby.
After that incident, we were a little scared. The folks at the emergency clinic were great. They said we could leave and go home or we could stay there and whelp the rest of the puppies. In case something else went wrong, we were already there!
Since Olivia was comfortable there and doing well, we decided to stay at the vet. She whelped her last 7 babies without any complications.

Olivia is a wonderful Mother and so far she is very serious. Taking care of babies is very serious work! I have to force her outside to go potty and then she runs right back to the babies.

I have received a lot of emails about the babies and I hope to get back to everyone very soon. Please give me a few days though. My Mom is having surgery tomorrow and I will be very busy with that. After the surgery, she will come here for awhile. I will be busy but promise to get back to everyone soon.

More photos later...

1 comment:

  1. I hope your mom's surgery goes ok. Thanks for keeping us updated on Olivia's and the puppies' status. - S. Dixon

    ReplyDelete